Published on July 1st, 2014 | by Samantha Levine0
USA vs. Belgium, Are You Ready?
With the world’s eyes glued to their television screens, the World Cup is the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world; and this year is certainly no exception. After being knocked out of the World Cup twice by Ghana both in 2006 and 2010, the odds have been stacked against Team USA from the beginning. After being put into group G, also referred to the “Group of Death”, Team USA has succeeded into making to round 16 where they will face off against Belgium today at 4pm EST.
So what should we know about today’s big match?
- American midfielder Michael Bradley has covered more ground in the group stage than any other player in the tournament.
- Belgium: Left back Thomas Vermaelen (hamstring) is out. Central defender Vincent Kompany (groin) and Anthony Vanden Borre (broken fibula) are questionable. Kompany is regarded as one of the world’s best defenders.
- United States: American officials announced Monday that forward Jozy Altidore is available after missing the past two games because of a hamstring muscle strain.
- Klinsmann and Belgium boss Marc Wilmots are two of the best players of their generation. Wilmots was a central midfielder and capped by the European side on 70 occasions, while the America boss played for Germany 80 times, scoring an impressive 38 goals.
- The only other time in World Cup history that the United States has played Belgium came in the very first tournament (held in 1930).
Want more? Check out the following video, and let us know what you think!