Published on June 23rd, 2014 | by Samantha Levine0
Sweet Summertime Recipes
Food has always been a way of allowing us to connect with people, and with summer fast approaching, how better to celebrate the season with your friends and family at a backyard barbeque? Now while the traditional hamburgers and hotdogs will never go out of style, try shaking it up this season with these deliciously healthy summer recipes!
Photo: John Autry
The name pretty much gives it away! Enjoy this a delicious frozen treat by using frozen berries, and kick of summer with a healthy treat!
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries $
- 2/3 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar $
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice $
- 1 tablespoon butter $
- 2 cups plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt $
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in butter.
- 2. Spoon 1/2 cup yogurt into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1/4 cup sauce. Serve immediately.
This delectable Greek dish combines a mix of seafood, veggies, and herbs, for a healthy and tasty lunch or dinner.
Large shrimp, lemons, olive oil, dill, oregano, Greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, pepper, cherry tomatoes, whole-grain flatbreads, red onion, romaine lettuce
1. Preheat grill.
2. Rinse shrimp, and pat dry. Stir together 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1 tablespoon each dill and oregano in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp, and toss to combine. Marinate, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
3. Stir together 1/4 cup yogurt, half of garlic, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon dill in a serving bowl. With a vegetable peeler, cut cucumbers into lengthwise ribbons, discarding the largely seeded core. Toss cucumber ribbons with yogurt mixture and pepper, to taste.
4. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt with remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon dill, and remaining garlic in a small serving bowl for raita sauce. Season with pepper, to taste.
5. Toss tomatoes and onion with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a bowl. Grill shrimp with tomatoes and onion in a lightly oiled well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or grill pan, turning once, 5 minutes or until shrimp are bright pink and cooked through, tomatoes are softened, and onion is golden brown and tender. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
6. Grill flatbread until golden brown and slightly crisp. Transfer to 4 serving plates; top evenly with cucumber salad, shrimp, onions, tomatoes, and romaine, if desired. Serve with raita sauce.
1 pound bow-tie pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the corn, raise the heat slightly and cook until the corn is heated through and golden, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Add the vegetables, butter and basil to the pasta and toss.
Shop our selection of cooking magazines.
Photo: Lee Harrelson
Rather than you regular beef burger, why not try a turkey burger instead? Step it up with Cooking Light’s Special sauce, to give it that extra kick, and bring some variety to your barbeque party.
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup Special Sauce
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- Spread 2 tablespoons Special Sauce over top half of each bun. Place lettuce leaves on bottom halves of buns; top each with 1 patty and top half of bun. Cut each burger in half.
Special Sauce Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
Special Sauce Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate.